Monday, September 25, 2017

Grammar Topic 20(c) - Important Phrases (3)

Grammar – Topic 20(c)
Important Phrases (3)


Here are more important phrases that are often used in the English language. Read the sentences to find out how they are used. 

Phrases with ‘within’

1. Marie heard me telling Peter that I thought she was inconsiderate and lazy as she was within earshot of where Peter and I were. 

2. The restaurant will, within limits, allow you to make changes to your reservation at the last minute. 

3. Mr Peters decided to buy the sports car even after the increase in the price as it was still within his budget

4. "I will do everything within my power to get you acquitted," the lawyer told his client. 

5. When I managed to save half of the amount I would need to buy the game console, I knew that purchasing the console would finally be within reach

6. The shopping mall is within walking distance from my house. 


Phrases with ‘in’

1. If you buy the detergent in bulk, you will be able to save a sizable sum of money. 

2. "In answer to your question, we do not plan to open another outlet any time soon," the director of the popular drinks store told the reporter. 

3. As I toured the grounds of the imperial palace, I was in awe of the kind of life that the royal family led in the past. 

4. Credit cards are not accepted at this store. You will have to pay in cash

5. The local comics convention was held in collaboration with an Australian graphic design company. 

6. The captain in command of this ship has been working on board ships since he was a teenager. 

7. Anna and I have many things in common and we can spend hours talking to each other.

8. In comparison with the motorcycle, the scooter is a slower vehicle. 


If you would like some practice in using these words, email me for a set of practice exercises. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Grammar Topic 26 - Subject and Object Questions

Grammar – Topic 26 Subject and Object Questions The questions above are object questions. The question words ask about the recipient...