Saturday, September 16, 2017

Grammar Topic 8(c) - Phrasal Verbs and More...(Part (III)

Grammar – Topic 8(c)

Phrasal Verbs and More... (Part III)


Here is another post on phrasal verbs. However, before you learn some new phrasal verbs, read the dialogues below to see if you can spot the phrasal verbs that you learnt earlier.



Did you find all the phrasal verbs in the dialogues above? If you cannot remember what they mean or how to use them, check the earlier posts – Phrasal Verbs (a) and (b).

List C

back away
retreat
black out
faint
close in upon
surround
come by
obtain something that is difficult to get
make a short visit to a place
count out
exclude
drive at
mean
face up to
accept
fish for
search for something or to feel for something that is hidden



Here is a list of how prepositions are used with certain verbs, adjectives or nouns.

1.  Do you want to apply for a gym membership?
2.  Jill was angry at herself for forgetting to submit the contest form before the deadline.
3.  No one agrees with me on where what the theme of the year end party should be.
4.  Are you aware of the recent spate of robberies in the neighbourhood?
5.  Despite being reprimanded by her teacher, she is not ashamed of what she has done.
6.  Everyone congratulated the diver on his results when he returned from the overseas competition.
7.  When she is busy with her work, she does not like to be disturbed.
8.  She has a strong accent so I have difficulty in understanding what she says.


Let’s Practise

Fill in the blanks with the correct prepositions.

1.      Those who have difficulty __________ speaking Japanese find it hard to communicate with the locals when they visit Japan.

2.      The hikers tried to back __________ as quietly as they could when they noticed the snake lying on the rock.

3.      No one in the group agrees __________ my opinion.

4.      Please count me __________ for the barbecue. I will be going overseas.

5.      The jaywalker fished in his pockets __________ his identity card when he was stopped by a police officer.

6.      I was busy __________ my work the whole night and did not go to bed till after midnight.

7.      She blacked __________ when she received the bad news.

8.      As Jane was walking through the park, she became aware __________ a sound coming from behind her.

9.      Meat is hard to come __________ in the town as the people are very poor.

10.  I could not wait to congratulate my best friend__________ her win in the chess competition.

11.  I did not understand what she was driving __________ when she questioned me about my whereabouts last night.

12.  I will apply __________ a scholarship after I receive my examination results.

13.  My mother was angry __________ me for breaking her vase.

14.  The men were closing in __________ me and I had no way to escape.

15.  She was so ashamed __________ having cheated during the examination that she refused to speak to anyone.

16.  You have to face __________ to the fact that you will not be able to find a new job soon.


Answers:
1.   in
2.   away
3.   with
4.   out
5.   for
6.   with
7.   out
8.   of
9.   by
10.  on
11.  at
12.  for
13.  with
14.  upon
15.  of
16.  up

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grammar Topic 26 - Subject and Object Questions

Grammar – Topic 26 Subject and Object Questions The questions above are object questions. The question words ask about the recipient...