Monday, September 4, 2017

Grammar Topic 7 - Subject and Object Pronouns and Reflexive Pronouns

Grammar – Topic 7

Subject and Object Pronouns and Reflexive Pronouns

Check out this extract I came across in a book I was reading the other day.


"Hey you! Stop there! You just bumped into me and I have dropped all my groceries!"

"Well, it's not my fault if you're clumsy but I'll help you to pick up your groceries. I won't let you do it yourself."


I thought this extract would be suitable for this post as it contains a couple of pronouns, a term that this post is about.

'I', 'you', 'me' and 'yourself' are the pronouns mentioned in the extract.


You might not be familiar with the term 'pronouns' but I'm sure you have used them when you converse and write in English.

Pronouns are words that take the place of nouns. We use them instead of saying the noun.
For example, 'You are learning and getting better at English by reading this blog.' If I don't use the pronoun 'you', I would probably put your name in the sentence.

'(insert your name here) is learning and getting better at English by reading this blog.'

It doesn't even sound like I'm addressing you directly does it? It might even sound like I'm telling someone about my observation of you.


Now, read these sentences below.

Gerrard is a world-class football player. Gerrard can score many goals. It is Gerrard who scored the winning goal in the World Cup.

The repeated use of the word 'Gerrard' can make the sentences quite tiresome to read. Let's write the sentences another way using pronouns.

Gerrard is a world-class football player. He can score many goals. It is he who scored the winning goal in the World Cup.

The meaning of the sentences are the same but now we do not need to repeat the noun 'Gerrard' as it is already clear whom we are talking about.

                                                     Pronouns can save the day.
                                                     They help you to write better in just the right way.
                                                     No matter what you say
                                                     Pronouns are definitely here to stay.



Pronouns are words that take the place of nouns.

Questions on pronouns can be found in the Grammar MCQ, Grammar Cloze and Editing sections of Paper 2 of the PSLE English paper.

Subject pronouns are who or what the sentence is about. (I, you, he, she, it, we, they)
Object pronouns are who or what receives the action in the sentence. (me, you, him, her, us, them)

Examples:
She and I are in the class committee.
Clue: Ask yourself if the phrase can be replaced with ‘we’ or ‘us’. If it can be replaced with ‘we’, the answer is a subject (she and I).

Jack asked Ben and me to join him for lunch.
Clue: Ask yourself if the phrase can be replaced with ‘we’ or ‘us’. If it can be replaced with ‘us’, the answer is an object (me).

It was she who witnessed the accident. (Take note of this sentence structure. We use the subject pronoun.)

Let’s keep this between you and me.
Clue: Ask yourself if the phrase can be replaced with ‘we’ or ‘us’. If it can be replaced with ‘us’, the answer is an object (me).

Julie is a better swimmer than I am.
Ben is taller than she is. 
Clue: There is a verb at the end of the sentence that might not always be stated. (e.g. am, is)



Myself, yourself, himself, herself, itself, themselves, ourselves, yourselves are also pronouns. They are reflexive pronouns.

Examples:
“Please return the trays to the tray return station yourselves,” Mrs Lee told her children.
Clue: We use ‘yourselves’ instead of ‘yourself’ because Mrs Lee is talking to more than one child.

We did the household chores ourselves when our parents were at work.


Mine, yours, his, hers, ours, theirs are also pronouns. They are possessive pronouns. They tell us what belongs to a person or people. We do not have to put the thing that belongs to the person or people after the possessive pronoun.

Examples:
My sister invited her friends to the barbecue and I invited mine.
(We do not need to put ‘friends’ after ‘mine’. If ‘friends’ or the noun is placed after the pronoun, the sentence would be, ‘My sister invited her friends to the barbecue and I invited my friends’.)

“The courier delivered a parcel this morning. I think it is yours,” Peter told Ann.
Everyone handed in their homework but Joel did not hand in his.
Please lend her your paintbrush. She left hers at home.


Questions related to pronouns can also be found in the Comprehension Open-Ended section of Paper 2.

For example,
“Come on!” Joe could not help exclaiming as he neared the mall. The atrium was already abuzz with activity and he did not want to miss anything. There was a persistent screech before the voice of the announcer echoed everywhere inviting everyone in the mall to watch the dog show. Joe ran forward. He was certain it would be starting soon. Ann ran to catch up. Her face was flushed with a mixture of excitement and annoyance. There were several heavy bags in her hands and they were weighing her down.

Who or what do the words in bold refer to?
To find the answer, read the whole sentence where the pronoun is and the sentence before the pronoun.



Let’s Practise
Circle the number of the correct answer.

1.   When the tremors started, everyone panicked and grabbed whatever they could before leaving the building, even taking things that were not ______.
(1) ours
(2) theirs
(3) his
(4) hers


2.   My sister often prepares breakfast for ______ when our mother is busy.
(1) myself
(2) himself
(3) herself
(4) ourselves


3.   It was ______ who stole the wallet but she continued to deny it.
(1) her
(2) him
(3) she
(4) them


4.   My sister is a more graceful dancer than ______ is.
(1) she
(2) you
(3) they
(4) I


5.   Besides Tim and ______, the rest of the class enjoys playing table tennis.
(1) she
(2) he
(3) I
(4) me


6.   The suspects in the murder case defended ______ without the help of a lawyer.
(1) itself
(2) ourselves
(3) yourselves
(4) themselves


7.   “It was ______ who came up with the idea of holding a charity concert,” Brenda announced proudly.
(1) I
(2) me
(3) her
(4) them


8.   None of the books is useful so I returned ______ to the library.
(1) it
(2) them
(3) theirs
(4) mine


9.   Would you give ______ your vote for the post of Club President?
(1) she
(2) he
(3) her
(4) hers


10.   Once the rain stops, ______ and I will head for the beach.
(1) him
(2) them
(3) she
(4) her




Answers:
1.   2
2.   3
3.   3
4.   1
5.   4
6.   4
7.   1
8.   2
9.   3
10.   3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grammar Topic 26 - Subject and Object Questions

Grammar – Topic 26 Subject and Object Questions The questions above are object questions. The question words ask about the recipient...