Friday, September 22, 2017

Vocabulary Topic 1(d) - Commonly Misspelt Words

Vocabulary – Topic 1(d)
Commonly Misspelt Words

Here is another list of tricky words.

Remember:
Practise learning how the words are used. Read them, write them, spell them and use flash cards to help you.
Don’t learn all the words at once. Learn two or three words each time and come back again to learn more words. But do remember to review the words you have learnt. 

It is important to spend time learning and reviewing the spelling of the words you have learnt.


List 4

intact
picturesque
meagre
predicament
moderate
premium
necessary
prestigious
opportunity
ravenous
oscillate
receive
patience
recommend
phlegm
reminisce

Read the sentences below to find out how these words are used.

1.      Fortunately, many of the buildings were still intact after the earthquake.
2.      His meagre salary is insufficient to support his family and he has to take on a second job.
3.      The doctor advised my grandmother to do moderate exercise every day.
4.      If you do not have the necessary documents, you will not be allowed to enter the contest.
5.      I was thankful that my coach gave me the opportunity to participate in the swimming competition.  
6.      The needle on the metronome will oscillate to tell me how fast I should play the piano piece.
7.      It was her patience that eventually won over the students she was teaching.
8.      The doctor gave me medicine for the phlegm in my throat.
9.      The picturesque view at the top of the mountain drew many hikers to the place throughout the year.
10.   I was in a predicament and no one could help me.
11.   The can of premium abalone costs more than fifty dollars.
12.   I was pleased to obtain a scholarship to a prestigious university.
13.   He was feeling ravenous after having gone without food for a day.
14.   He has been unable to receive recognition for all the work he has done.
15.   I was pleased with the dishes that the waiter recommended to me.

16.   My grandfather will often reminisce about his childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grammar Topic 26 - Subject and Object Questions

Grammar – Topic 26 Subject and Object Questions The questions above are object questions. The question words ask about the recipient...